Although amaranth had been recognized long ago by people from countries like Mexico, Argentina, and India, only recently the health benefits of amaranth have begun to be rediscovered in the Western world. It is a rich mine of mineral and vitamin wealth and regular use of amaranth in our food items prevents the deficiency of vitamins A, B1, B2, and C, calcium, iron and potassium. It is strongly recommended to be added in the Nutritious Noon Meals of Indian Education since it protects against several disorders such as defective vision, anemia, respiratory infections, recurrent colds and retarded growth.
Health Benefits of amaranth Leaves
- Amaranth possesses diet ary fiber, which helps in enhancing digestion. The fiber present in amaranth not only quickens digestion, but it also lowers cholesterol levels.
- Amaranth contains high protein amounts, up to 35% more than rice, oats and wheat flour. In addition, the protein present in amaranth flour is complete and it contains all the vital amino acids in contrast with other protein sources.
- The rich content of folic acid in amaranth helps women greatly in their reproductive years. This vitamin reduces 75% of the neural tube defects of the spinal cord and brain in new born babies. It also protects women from ovarian cancer and miscarriage.
- Amaranth seeds provide a rich source of protein which can satisfy a large portion of protein recommended for the growth of children. WHO (World Health Organization) has recommended that a combination of rice and amaranth in the 1:1 ratio can be an excellent way of achieving protein need.
- One cup of amaranth leaves, cooked, boiled, drained with no added salt.
Protein - 2.79 grams
Calories - 28
- Potassium - 846 mg
- Phosphorus - 95 mg
- Magnesium - 73 mg
- Calcium - 276 mg
- Iron - 2.98 mg
- Zinc - 1.16 mg
- Manganese - 1.137 mg
- Sodium - 28 mg
- Copper - 0.209 mg
- Selenium - 1.2 mcg
- Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin C - 54.3 mg
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.026 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.177 mg
- Niacin - 0.738 mg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.082 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.234 mg
- Folate - 75 mcg
- Vitamin A - 3656 IU
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.