Health Benefits of Mango
- Mango fruit is rich in pre-biotic dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and poly-phenolic flavonoid antioxidant compounds.
- According to new research study, mango fruit has been found to protect against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers. Several trial studies suggest that polyphenolic anti-oxidant compounds in mango are known to offer protection against breast and colon cancers.
- Mango fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin-A and flavonoids like beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin. 100 g of fresh fruit provides 765 mg or 25% of recommended daily levels of vitamin A. Together; these compounds are known to have antioxidant properties and are essential for vision. Vitamin A is also required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in carotenes is known to protect body from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Fresh mango is a very rich source of potassium. Potassium in an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
- Copper is a co-factor for many vital enzymes, including cytochrome c-oxidase and superoxide dismutase (other minerals function as co-factors for this enzyme are manganese and zinc). Copper is also required for the production of red blood cells.
- Mango peels are also rich in phytonutrients, such as the pigment antioxidants like carotenoids and polyphenols.
- One mango without peel contains 3.7 grams of dietary fiber.
Calories - 135
Nutrition In Mango
- Potassium - 272 mg
- Phosphorus - 53 mg
- Magnesium - 25 mg
- Calcium - 55 mg
- Sodium - 14 mg
- Iron - 2.59 mg
- Selenium 0.8 mcg
- Copper - 0.084 mg
- Zinc - 0.17 mg
- Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin A - 1584 IU
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.12 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.118 mg
- Niacin - 1.209 mg
- Folate - 29 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.331 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.227 mg
- Vitamin C - 57.3 mg
- Vitamin E - 2.32 mg
- Vitamin K - 8.7 mcg
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.