The brinjal (eggplant or baingan or aubergine) is called the King of Vegetables by some cultures. It is one of the most versatile vegetables around, loved by many people across the world. Different varieties are available everywhere and each variety is unique in its own way, with a distinctive flavor and many essential minerals.
Benefits of Brinjal(Eggplant)
- The brinjal or eggplant has a lot of vitamins and nutrients. It contains vitamins like B1 and B6. It also contains a good amount of potassium, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, niacin, and folic acid. This high nutritive value of the brinjal makes it one of the most important vegetables.
- Eggplant has another important health benefit which is the ability of this plant to lower the cholesterol levels of the individuals who consume this. The cholesterol lowering effect of the eggplant also plays a major role in reducing the risk of heart disease.
- The eggplant has been found to have a great impact on the sugar levels of a diabetic person. Eating brinjal is the natural method of controlling diabetes. This effect of the eggplant is because of the low levels of carbohydrate in the eggplant and also because of the fiber present in the vegetable. The eggplant is especially useful in preventing and reducing glucose levels of Type II Diabetes.
- Eating vegetables like the eggplant can help in reducing the weight of an individual. The reason is nothing fancy, but very simple. The vegetable contains a lot of moisture in it. It is also low in calories. So this can be eaten regularly to effectively control obesity.
- One cup of eggplant, cooked, boiled, drained with no added salt has 2.5 grams of dietary fiber.
Calories - 35
- Potassium - 122 mg
- Phosphorus - 15 mg
- Magnesium - 11 mg
- Calcium - 6 mg
- Iron - 0.25 mg
- Sodium - 1 mg
- Zinc - 0.12 mg
- Copper - 0.058 mg
- Manganese - 0.112 mg
- Selenium - 0.1 mcg
- Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin C - 1.3 mg
- Niacin - 0.594 mg
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.075 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.02 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.085 mg
- Folate - 14 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.074 mg
- Vitamin A - 37 IU
- Vitamin K - 2.9 mcg
- Vitamin E - 0.41 mg
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.