You have been diagnosed with high cholesterol and the doctor has ticked off or told you to limit many of the stuffs you love: steak and eggs, ice creams, cheese burgers or ham sandwiches. You go crazy planning how to include flax seeds and avocado in your diet. Just go nuts over walnuts and you will be fine.Those kernels encased in oblong shells bearing nature's intricate signature designs not only taste grea.
Health Benefits of Walnuts
- A diet supplemented with walnuts has been shown to significantly reduce total and LDL cholesterol levels.
- Walnut is a good source of all important omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids has a lot of health benefits ranging from cardiovascular protection, better mental function, anti-inflammatory benefits in asthma, rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory diseases like eczema and psoriasis.
- It contains vitamins and minerals thus making it an excellent food for body and muscle building.
- Walnut helps improve body's metabolism.
- The nuts are rich source of energy and contain many health benefiting nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for optimum health.
- These nuts are packed with many important B-complex groups of vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, and folates.
- They also very are rich source of minerals like manganese, copper, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and selenium.
- Walnuts oil has flavorful nutty aroma and has an excellent astringent properties; helps to keep skin well protected from dryness.
- 1 ounce (14 halves) English walnuts contains 1.9 mg fiber.
Calories - 185
- Potassium - 125 mg
- Phosphorus - 98 mg
- Calcium - 28 mg
- Magnesium - 45 mg
- Iron - 0.82 mg
- Sodium - 1 mg
- Manganese - 0.968 mg
- Zinc - 0.88 mg
- Copper - 0.45 mg
- Selenium - 1.4 mcg
- Also contains trace amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin C - 0.4 mg
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.097 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.043 mg
- Niacin - 0.319 mg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.162 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.152 mg
- Folate - 28 mcg
- Vitamin A - 6 IU
- Vitamin E - 0.2 mg
- Vitamin K - 0.8 mcg
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.