Radish is root vegetable and resembles turnips. This vegetable can be eaten raw or cooked . The most common uses for radishes are as a garnish or as an ingredient in a green salad. Radishes are root vegetables that resemble beets or turnips in appearance and texture, but have a distinct flavor. It is the root of a plant classified in the mustard family. Its flavor varies from mild to peppery and pungent, depending on the variety. Radishes are available all year long, and are at their peak from June through September. There are five main varieties of radishes Red Glode, daikons, Black, white Icicles, California Mammoth White.
Health Benefits of Radish
- The vegetable is rich in fiber and is known to prop up digestion, curb constipation, cure water retention and relieve piles.
- Radish is extremely good for the kidney and is particularly helpful in curing all kinds of urinary disorders, like thrush and inflammation.
- The vegetable is also known to boost skin health. Vitamin-C, phosphorus, zinc and some members of vitamin-B complex, which are present in radish, are good for skin.
- Helps to reduce overweight or obesity and dissolves gall stones.
- Radish also has a mild diuretic effect, increasing the production of urine by the kidneys.
- Good for diabetics just like cucumber and bitter gourd.
- Radish is extremely beneficial for treating all kinds of respiratory disorders, like bronchitis and asthma. It is known to relieve congestion from upper respiratory parts, like nose, throat, and lungs and prevent any kind of respiratory infections as well
- One cup of Radish, cooked, boiled, drained with no added salt has 2.4 grams of dietary fiber.
Protein - 0.98 grams
Calories - 25
- Potassium - 419 mg
- Phosphorus - 35 mg
- Magnesium - 13 mg
- Calcium - 25 mg
- Iron - 0.22 mg <
- Sodium - 19 mg
- Zinc - 0.19 mg
- Copper - 0.148 mg
- Manganese - 0.049 mg
- Selenium - 1 mcg
- Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin C - 22.2 mg
- Niacin - 0.221 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.034 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.056 mg
- Folate - 25 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.168 mg
- Vitamin K - 0.4 mcg
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.