Undoubtedly we all hate when our mom force us to have bottle gourd (lauki/ghiya) in our platter. But did you know that they are one of the favorite vegetables in Indian cuisine and has numerous health benefits. Though, this vegetable is disliked by the children and young people, old people consume it for its benefits in maintaining the good body and good health.
The bottle gourd is a common vegetable in India. It is yellowish green, havingthe shape of a bottle. It has white pulp, with white seeds embedded in spongy flesh.Bottle gourds are one of the favorite vegetables of Indians and has numerous health benefits. They are especially good for old aged peoples.
Health Benefits of Bottle Gaurd
- This vegetable contains a large amount of water (96%) in its biological composition. So eating it cooked, can help raise water levels in the body. It also acts as a coolant and reduces internal body heat.
- A glass of lauki juice with a little salt added to it prevents excessive loss of sodium, satiating thirst and keeping you refreshed in summer.
- The Gourd fruit juice is used in the treatment of insanity, epilepsy and
other nervous diseases.
- The juice of the fruit is used in the treatment of stomach acidity,
indigestion and ulcers.
- Low in calories (100gms has 12 calories) and low in fat, bottlegourd is a wonderful vegetable to include in any weight-loss diet.
- Regular use of cooked bottlegourd is considered an effective remedy for tuberculosis, and for boosting immunity.
- The juice made from the leaves of a bottle gourd plant can help with baldness and jaundice.
- One cup of pumpkin, cooked, boiled, drained, with no added salt has 2.7 grams of dietary fiber.
Proteins - 1.76 grams
Calories - 49
- Potassium - 564 mg
- Phosphorus - 74 mg
- Magnesium - 22 mg
- Calcium - 37 mg
- Iron - 1.4 mg
- Sodium - 2 mg
- Zinc - 0.56 mg
- Copper - 0.223 mg
- Manganese - 0.218 mg
- Selenium - 0.5 mcg
- Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin C - 11.5 mg
- Niacin - 1.012 mg
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.076 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.191 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.108 mg
- Folate - 22 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.492 mg
- Vitamin A - 12230 IU
- Vitamin K - 2 mcg
- Vitamin E - 1.96 mg
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.