Mushroom contains many essential vitamins and minerals and fiber.Therefore, the benefits of eating mushroom are also many.Mushrooms are fleshy and fungi.Mushroom is used not only as a food, but it is used for medicinal purposes too.Greeks, Chinese and Pharaohs valued mushroom in one way or another.Among the 14000 types of mushrooms available, around 3000 types have been found to be edible.About 700 types of mushrooms are medicinal and about 1400 types are said to be poisonous.People choose mushroom for its flavor and texture mainly.However, some people use it for health benefits
Mushroom is very less in calories. It contains about 80 – 90% water. Mushroom is low in sodium, carbohydrates and fats. It has enormous fiber content. People striving hard for weight loss can easily take the help of mushroom for achieving their goal. Mushroom offers potassium abundantly. It is said that mushroom is richer than banana in potassium. Potassium can lower blood pressure and reduces the risk of strokes. Mushroom is a boon to people suffering from hypertension.
- Because mushrooms are so low in calories they can help prevent obesity which is a risk factor for many conditions including: Type 2 Diabetes, certain types of cancer, and cardiovascular disease.
- Helps boost immune system function.
- Lowers the risk of cancer and helps in the treatment of cancer.
- Helps fight infection.
- Mushrooms low calorie content is good for those who are reducing.
- Mushroom has analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Mushroom is rich in several anti-oxidants (Selenium, Uric acid & Vitamin A, E, & C) as well as Vitamin D.
- Helps increase libido
- Helps combat allergies
- Half a cup of raw mushrooms contains 0.3 grams of fiber.
Protein - 1.08 grams
Calories - 8
- Potassium - 111 mg
- Phosphorus - 30 mg
- Magnesium - 3 mg
- Calcium - 1 mg
- Iron - 0.17 mg
- Sodium - 2 mg
- Zinc - 0.18 mg
- Copper - 0.111 mg
- Manganese - 0.016 mg
- Selenium - 3.3 mcg
- Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin D - 2 IU
- Niacin - 1.262 mg
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.028 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.141 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.036 mg
- Vitamin C - 0.7 mg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.524 mg
- Folate - 6 mcg
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.