French beans are smaller than common green beans and have a soft, velvety pod. Quite fleshy for their size, only tiny seeds inhabit these delicate pods. French beans are sweet, tender and wonderfully crispy. French beans are delicious. The tasty beans are picked while still small and when cooked that size they taste out of this world. French beans generally grow as a bush, which grows twelve to twenty inches tall depending upon the variety you decide to grow.
French beans contain protein, fat, calcium, phosphorous, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin K, manganese, magnesium, potassium, folate, thiamine, riboflavin, copper, protein, omega 3 fatty acids, niacin, starch and plenty of iron. It is low in calories and contains water and fat soluble anti-oxidant.
Health Benefits of French Beans
- Increasing haemoglobin count and provides energy to the body without adding calories.
- curing frequent urination
- improving eyesight
- French beans are filled with healthy dietary fibers that help in the prevention of cholesterol. These fibers are also beneficial for diabetic people as they help in preventing the sugar levels from rising up immediately after having a meal
- French beans are also helpful in energizing the body as they are rich in iron, the nutrients found in hemoglobin which helps in giving energy to the body.
- French beans also help in improving the immune system of the body as they are a rich source of Vitamin C. This vitamin helps in stimulating the white cells to fight against infection by directly killing the bacteria and viruses responsible for these infections
- A good diet for those suffering from diabetes.
- Reducing and preventing inflammation of the joints in case of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Promoting good colon health and aids in preventing colon cancer.
- One cup of French beans, mature seeds, cooked, boiled with no added salt has 16.6 grams of dietary fiber.
Protein - 12.48 grams
Calories - 228
- Potassium - 655 mg
- Phosphorus - 181 mg
- Magnesium - 99 mg
- Calcium - 112 mg
- Iron - 1.91 mg
- Sodium - 11 mg
- Zinc - 1.13 mg
- Copper - 0.204 mg
- Manganese - 0.676 mg
- Selenium - 2.1 mcg
- Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin C - 2.1 mg
- Niacin - 0.966 mg
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.23 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.11 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.186 mg
- Folate - 133 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.393 mg
- Vitamin A - 5 IU
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.