Cabbage is a good source of fiber and very low in calories. It contains a substantial amount of amino acid glutamine which our bodies need to produce HGH (human growth hormones). Stanford University’s School of of Medicine conducted extensive research and found that the glutamine in fresh cabbage juice relieves peptic ulcer symptoms.After the introduction of the cabbage diet, the vegetable had gained popularity in both beauty and health sector. Cabbage has immense health benefits and is the cure to many health problems.
Health Benefits of Cabbage :
- Cabbage may lower the incidence of cancer, especially in the lung, stomach and colon prostate.
- Cabbage is a muscle builder, blood cleanser and eye strengthener.
- The juice of fresh raw cabbage has been proven to heal stomach ulcer.
- Cabbage is rich in iron and sulfur.
- Juice of fresh cabbage is effective in treating fungus infection(due to it sulfur content).
- Cabbage can lower serum cholesterol.
- Red Cabbage has more phytonutrients than the green cabbage. The vitamin C content of red cabbage is 6-8 times higher than that of the green cabbage.
- Cabbage is a rich source of tartronic acid. This acid converts excess sugar and fat in human body. In a way it controls carbohydrates and fat. Thus, it becomes the best slimming agent. Weight loss, thus, becomes yet another health benefit of cabbage.
- One half cup of cabbage, cooked, boiled, drained with no added salt has 1.4 grams of dietary fiber.
Protein - 0.95 grams
Calories - 17
- Potassium - 147 mg
- Phosphorus - 25 mg
- Magnesium - 11 mg
- Calcium - 36 mg
- Iron - 0.13 mg
- Sodium - 6 mg
- Zinc - 0.15 mg
- Copper - 0.013 mg
- Manganese - 0.154 mg
- Selenium - 0.5 mcg
- Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin C - 28.1 mg
- Niacin - 0.186 mg
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.046 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.029 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.084 mg
- Folate - 22 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.13 mg
- Vitamin A - 60 IU
- Vitamin K - 81.5 mcg
- Vitamin E - 0.11 mg
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.