Brussels Sprouts. Most of us hate them. Some of us eat them, but only because we feel pressured to do so by a family member. Others realize that there are some health benefits associated with eating Brussels Sprouts and force themselves to eat them for that reason - or choose not to anyway. That's right, Brussels Sprouts do have a number of health benefits, as bland or disgusting as they may this vegetable, which resembles mini-cabbages, may taste to you. Here are just a few of the different health benefits that Brussels Sprouts have to offer.
Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts
- One cup of Brussels sprouts contains four grams (16% of the RDA) of dietary fiber, which can aid in digestion, prevent constipation, maintain low blood sugar and check overeating.
- Brussels sprouts supplies 93.6 mg of folic acid, a nutrient that is essential for proper cellular division. Deficiency of folic acid during pregnancy has been linked to several birth defects because without folic acid, the fetus' nervous system cells do not divide properly.
- A cup of Brussels sprouts contains more than 4 grams of fiber, which aids elimination by forming a soft, bulky stool that is easily passed.
- Brussels sprout juice is beneficial for diabetics and hypoglycemics.
- Brussels sprouts contain higher antioxidant than that of red cabbage.
- Brussels sprouts, provide humans with protection against inflammatory diseases like arthritis.
- Brussel sprouts are high in protein which makes is a healthy substitute for meat.
- One cup of Brussels Sprouts, cooked, boiled, drained with no added salt has 4.1 grams dietary fiber.
Protein - 3.98 grams
Calories - 56
- Potassium - 495 mg
- Phosphorus - 87 mg
- Magnesium - 31 mg
- Calcium - 56 mg
- Iron - 1.87 mg
- Zinc - 0.51 mg
- Copper - 0.129 mg
- Manganese - 0.354 mg
- Selenium - 2.3 mcg
- Sodium - 33 mg
- Also contains small amounts of other minerals.
- Vitamin C - 96.7 mg
- Niacin - 0.947 mg
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.167 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.125 mg
- Pantothenic Acid - 0.393 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.278 mg
- Folate - 94 mcg
- Vitamin A - 1209 IU
- Vitamin E - 0.67 mg
- Vitamin K - 218.9 mcg
- Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.