Daily Amount Needed
- 5 mcg (200 iu) for most adults.
- Between 50 - 70 yrs 10 mcg (400 iu), and after 70 15 mcg (600 iu).
- Children need about 5 mcg (200 iu)/day.
- Vitamin D is known as the "sunshine vitamin" since it is manufactured by the body after being exposed to sunshine. Ten to fifteen minutes of good sunshine three times weekly is adequate to produce the body's requirement of vitamin D. This means that we don't need to obtain vitamin D from our diet unless we get very little sunlight – usually not a problem for children.
- Vitamin D is vital to the human body as it promotes absorption of calcium and magnesium, which are essential for the normal development of healthy teeth and bones. It also helps maintain adequate levels of calcium and phosphorus in the blood.
- No nuts contain a significant amount of vitamin D.