Estimated Amounts Needed
- Men need 15 mgs/day.
- Women should get 12 mg/day.
- Children need 10 to 15 mg/day.
- Vegetarians need about 50 percent more zinc in their diet than meat eaters.
- This metal is important in a number of key activities, ranging from protein and carbohydrate metabolism to the immune system, wound healing, growth and vision.
- Severe deficiency can contribute to stunted growth. Deficiency can sometimes be seen in white spots on the fingernails.
- Most fruits contain a small amount of zinc, but the following have a significant amount:
- Amaranth leaves
- Brussels Sprouts
- French Beans
- Lima Beans
- Most nuts have some zinc, but these have a significant amount:
- Sunflower Seeds
- Wheat - Durum
- Wheat - Hard Red
- Wheat - Hard White