Estimated Amounts Needed
- Adults should get 150 mcgs per day.
- The children’s recommendation for iodine is 70 to 150 mcg (that is micrograms).
- Iodine helps regulate the rate of energy production and body weight and promotes proper growth. It also promotes healthy hair, nails, skin and teeth.
- In countries where iodine is deficient in the soil, rates of hypothyroidism, goiter and retarded growth from iodine deficiency are very high.
- Fruits grown in iodine-rich soils contain iodine.
- Vegetables grown in iodine-rich soils contain iodine.
- Nuts grown in iodine-rich soils contain iodine.